Follow Unexpecting Mommy by Email

Friday, August 6, 2010

First week back to work

A day in the life of a working single mom

I have completed my first week back to work. I must say it was very bitter sweet. I am so thankful to have a job at this point (I have been unemployed since December) but I hate leaving my daughter. I have enjoyed my time with her. She is 4 months today. I have been able to spend quality time with her, but the bills have to be paid, so hi ho hi ho it’s off to work I go. For those of you who are pregnant or jus t had a baby, it can be done. Yes it is hard, but I must admit it is nice to get out and be around people. I am also still breast feeding which is a whole other blog posting in itself.

I won’t lie it is hard being a single mother with a 4 month old and returning to work. Before she was born I would go to the gym, do a yoga or spin class or both, come home cook dinner or meet friends out, get in bed around 11:00 and get up around 7:30. Not the case anymore. Now I wake up whenever she does which is normally between 5:30 and 6:00. She is in the bed with me because she fell asleep there when she woke up at 3:30 to nurse. Sometimes I nurse her again sometimes I don’t, it depends. I let her play in the bed while I jump in the shower. After I get out of the shower it is time for diaper change and for her to get dressed. I dress her then I put her in her swing which is in my bedroom. She talks to me and grabs her feet while I put on my make-up , do my hair and get dressed myself. I load the car up with her diaper bag, my breast pump, my briefcase, my lunch, her lunch, my purse, my computer……. Whoops don’t forget the baby! We then head to my Mom’s (which is conveniently 30 minutes away……there is sarcasm there!) I am very grateful that my Mother is keeping my daughter during the day. I have heard nightmare daycare stories. My Mom is as close to me as my daughter will get, and I know takes excellent care of her. So after a hectic day in the field, driving all over God’s creation (I’m in sales) I make the long drive back to my Mom’s to get my daughter. I then head home……. (another 30 minutes). Once there I barely get my stuff put down before it is bath time, cereal time, nursing time and then hopefully bedtime. I work until around 9:30 or 10:00, cram some kind of leftover food that is not moldy in my mouth and finally I can rest. I read my bible, write in my journal say my prayers and pray she will sleep through the night (it has only happened once!) But a girl can pray!!!
I wake up the next day and do it all over again. Someone recently called me amazing as I have found all mothers are and, my reply was “Yes, yes I am amazing.” I just hope I can keep this up!

No comments: